Here are some projects that I wanted to display in fuller detail! Figured that I'd rather not use this space to just repeat my resume on this, but rather try to make something that helps explore these projects with some more detail and also allow some cool pics too!

May 2020 - Present

What I worked on for summer '20! Helped found a startup that aims to innovate the way that we calendar social events and organize things with our friends. Built from the ground up using TypeScript, and our stack is React Native, an Apollo GraphQL server, and Nexus + Prisma in order to build our schema and map it to our PostgreSQL database. Design system created by the wonderful @andrewshen. Find more info at

CORD-19 Dataset Analysis + Modeling
April 2020 - May 2020

Quite pertinent to the times, my final project for CIS545 was based around this dataset that was amassed thanks to AI2, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, NIH and more. Called the "CORD-19" dataset (I swear, it wasn't a typo or anything on my end), it contained a massive number of research articles covering all topics related to coronaviruses, whether it be COVID-19, SARS, MERS, etc. in the form of .json files.

From there, a lot of the work was first cleaning the data and getting it into a workable form. Although a lot of the later parts of the class was heavily involved with working with Apache Spark/Storm, Keras/mxnet, and Elastic MapReduce, for this specific dataset I didn't want to overdo it by having to startup an AWS instance every single time I wanted to work on something, and the files overall still could fit onto local memory on my computer so I said "screw it" and just downloaded 6 gigs of raw data onto my laptop to work on it locally with pandas. Great for convenience, but def a lot of times my Mac fan just started going berserk when I started using NLTK to tokenize the abstracts/articles and to create a tf-idf vector model of the corpus, so definitely not ideal, but honestly I still thought the setup was far more reliable compared to having a Google Colab session crash on me 4 different times within the span of an hour.

Beyond that, it was then a matter of seeing if I could derive some useful conclusions from this data. First was the EDA, and using primarily seaborn, some of the visualizations I made involved the publishing date relative to how many papers were published (as expected, February and March 2020 had a MASSIVE spike in publishing ), which journals seemed most prolific in researching this area of coronaviruses, etc. And, as any ~quality~ data science project does, I tried to make sure the charts a) made sense and b) used a ton of pretty colors so people reading at least stop to read them :D Followed this up with some spicy feature extraction as well to prep it for the NLP analysis later down the line.

Now, of course, came the Machine Learning™ that we all know and love, so after I made the appropriate vector space of the model, I put sklearn to work. First, instead of using PCA like normal to reduce dimensionality of the tf-idf matrix, I actually had to end up using Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA), a very similar method to PCA but better suited for a sparse matrix like this term-document one. Then I slapped on a k-means clustering algorithm in order to see if I could settle on a natural number of clusters that the data naturally grouped into. From there, each of the points of data had a cluster assignment appended to it (this is where we got the colorings for that viz at the very top), and the final step was running t-SNE to be able to visualize this fairly high-dimensional data and bring it down to a 2D setting we could see. Thus, the visualization itself is actually produced by the t-SNE algorithm, but the colors are actually just taken from the k-means and applied over top! Hence, it solidifies the validity of our clusterings initially found by k-means and implies that there must be some shared characteristics within each of these clusters (otherwise our model wouldn't have partitioned them this way otherwise!).

As some finishing touches, the last cool thing I got to do was to then ask exactly that: "what ARE in these clusters that they all share stuff in common?". And to answer that question, I ended up using Latent Dirichlet Allocation to find these topics, which is what you see above! Separated by lines, each section represents the common topics found in each cluster, and represent some of the things that tie these – at times, disparate – research papers together!

Apologies for basically recapping the research that I did lol, but this was highkey one of the coolest things I've done with the stuff I've learned in school, which is definitely not the case for most classes you take. Not only was it extremely pertinent to things going on in our world right this instant, but also shows that there are takeaways that could actually provide immense utility to those helping in the fight against this pandemic-sized threat. Ultimately, a rewarding project overall in which, for once in my life, I felt that things I had learned in the classroom could indeed apply to the real world.

If you've hit this, the rest isn't complete yet! And as a token of gratitude for your patience, here's a cute puppy gif to keep you company: